Thursday we are back to having official/coach led practices at Afton Heights Park. Practice will begin at 6:15pm. Cleats, mouthguards, etc. required.
Tonight and moving forward we will be practicing in Maplewood at Afton Heights Park, our home field. (Still Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:15pm-8:15pm)
The address is Upper Afton Rd, Maplewood, MN 55119. Take a look at this google map to see its exact location.
Practice this week 4/5 and 4/7
Practice will be at Como Park
*Address:* 1199 Midway Pkwy, St Paul, MN 55103
*Time:* 6:15pm – 8:15pm (depending on light)
Be ready and booted up at 6:15pm
Wear warm clothes
Rugby, rugby, rugby
P.S. Text Goose and I so we have your number
Great work at practice this week. We went over a lot of basics and started to apply those skills to a game plan/strike pattern. Don’t be frustrated if you don’t yet understand the pattern, yet. We will get to a point where it will all make sense. However, the game plan is worthless if we don’t execute on the fundamentals we run through at the beginning of each practice:
– Passing: throw a easy to catch ball using basic fundamentals
– Catching: get your hands up and let the passer know you are ready to receive the ball (also alert him to your presence)
– Running (with the ball): run into space/when being tackle continue to drive through defenders (own the contact point)/Keep the ball in a secure position/once on the ground fight to get the ball back as far as possible
– Supporting (ball carrier): recognize your spacing (depth and width – how far behind the runner and how far away)/as the runner gets closer to contact, you need to get closer to the runner
– Rucking: engage with your shoulder and grab opponent/head above hips/continue to drive/don’t join rucks from the side – join from the back
– Defense: get into position/recognize and communicate which space you are defending/listen to inside defender as to slide or attack up/communicate to other defender as to slide or move up
– Tackle: hit low with shoulder/wrap up and drive legs/if you are not involved in the tackle: watch for off loads, assist in tackle, prepare to pouch the ball or set defense for next phase
– Fitness: be able to get to where you need to be on the field
If we can be good on these skills, the rest of the game becomes a lot easier. Strike patterns are simply a way to get us into the offense, from there we need to learn to read defenses.
For Sundays scrimmage:
– Uniform/kit: clean rugby boots, one red sock, one black sock and black shorts
– Location: 4125 Radio Drive, Woodbury, MN
– Time: be there by 11:30 to get prepared start warm ups at 12:00pm
o if you didn’t play in the fall, you will need get CIPPed (refer to Drew Hester’s early email)
o Social (food, drinks and games) to follow) scrimmage, plan on attending (refer to Goose’s email
o Talk to Tony about dues
Let show Mankato that we are an organized rugby team on the pitch and a great club off the pitch.
St. Paul RFC
Next week, we will be moving outside for practice. Depending on field conditions, we will either be at Como Park, or our home field, Afton Park. Outdoor practices will be from 6:15pm to 8:15pm. We will let you know where practices once we know more about the field conditions.
- 3/22, 6:30-8:30pm, Hope Church, 7910 15th Street North, Oakdale, MN 55128
- 3/24, 6:30-8:30pm, Hope Church, 7910 15th Street North, Oakdale, MN 55128
- 3/29, 8:30-10:30pm, Bielenberg Field House, 4125 Radio Dr, Woodbury, MN 55129
- 3/31, 8:30-10:30pm, Bielenberg Field House, 4125 Radio Dr, Woodbury, MN 55129
- 4/3, Noon-2pm, Bielenberg Field House, 4125 Radio Dr, Woodbury, MN 55129